Find the below tricks/shortcuts to speed up working with Visual Studio 2005
- Make sure Visual Studio 2005 SP1 is installed.
- Turn off animation.
- Tools | Options | Environment and uncheck Animate environment tools.
- Clearing this option causes auto-hidden windows to appear instantly when requested rather than slowly transitioning onto the screen.
- Disable Navigation Bar.
- Tools | Options | Text Editor | C# and uncheck Navigation bar.
- Instead of this option use CTRL-F12.
- Turn off Track Changes.
- Tools | Options | Text Editor and uncheck Track changes.
- This will reduce overhead and speeds up IDE response.
- Turn off Track Active item.
- Tools | Options | Projects and Solutions and uncheck Track Active Item in Solution Explorer
- When selected, Solution Explorer automatically opens the folder for the active item, scrolls to its node, and selects its name.
- This option is enabled by default.
- Turn off AutoToolboxPopulate.
- Tools | Options | Windows Forms Designer and then set AutoToolboxPopulate to False.
- There is an option in VS 2005 that will cause VS to automatically populate the toolbox with any controls you compile as part of your solution.
- This is a useful feature when developing controls since it updates them when you build, but it can cause VS to end up taking a long time in some circumstances. So its better to disable this option.
Arun Manglick || Tech Lead